About Us

After prohibition was repealed on December 5, 1933 the North Carolina State Legislature voted in 1937 to allow alcohol sales. North Carolina opted for a “Control System” in which the local municipalities, being either a county or city, could hold an election for the establishment of an ABC Board and the sale of alcoholic beverages. The City of Morganton held an election on July 13, 1963 and approved an ABC store, as well as off-premise sales of beer and wine with a vote of 2,204 for and 1,191 against. The first ABC store opened in a temporary location on South Sterling Street in the downtown business district on November 6, 1963. In June of 1964 the ABC Board moved into the current ABC building located at 250 West Fleming Drive. Since inception and through June of 2013, the City of Morganton ABC Board has distributed $38,391,873 to both local and state agencies.

DISTRIBUTED
JULY 2015 Thru JUNE 2016
SINCE NOVEMBER 1963
CITY OF MORGANTON
COUNTY OF BURKE
ALCOHOL EDUCATION
ALCOHOL REHABILITATION
LAW ENFORCEMENT
STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA

TOTAL DISTRIBUTIONS
$228,980
76,327
26,775
10,050
35,801
904,707

$1,282,640
$9,794,934
3,264,926
1,121,521
752,896
2,012,683
25,051,458

$41,998,418
Morganton ABC Board of Directors

Board Members
:
  • Steve Gregory: Chairman
  • Mark K. Miller: Vice Chairman
  • James M. Sholar: Secretary
  • David Leonhardt: General Manager